Tabby Tsengiwe – Experienced Public Affairs Executive
Tabby is a highly experienced Public Affairs professional with two decades of strategic communications, marketing, stakeholder and regulatory management leadership under her belt.
Working with a number of blue chip companies during this time, she has strived to create time, space and opportunity for growth by connecting the dots, bringing out people’s strengths, and effectively managing risk.
Career highlights include:
– Working closely with key stakeholders across sectors to successfully position and grow the BMW brand post the 1994 transition.
– Spearheading the launch of South Africa’s first ever reality television show, Big Brother 1, to critical success during her tenure at MNet
– Reinforcing brand product messaging to the business and youth segments while at MTN
– Honing her stakeholder communication, investor relations and compliance competence in roles at Microsoft and Nedbank
– Bringing to bear the impact of the illicit trade in tobacco products to key audiences in both government and the media whilst serving as Head of Communications at British American Tobacco South Africa
– Strengthening already exceptional relations with key media personally, regularly contributing to major tier one platforms in various capacities as a company spokesperson
Tabby joined Old Mutual as Chief Communications Officer in February 2018 where she immediately led the communication around the Group’s listing activities, brand repositioning, its unbundling from Nedbank, as well as its reconnection with investors and shareholders as Old Mutual Limited.
During the past 18 months, she has played an instrumental role in driving an effective reputation recovery plan for the Old Mutual Group, this following a protracted legal battle with its former CEO, which resulted in multiple negative impacts to the business. The risk mitigations in place, guidance provided to the Board, consistent messaging, leadership and her ability to ensure that messaging lands with key audiences has contributed to a
remarkable turnaround in reputation for the Group, as measured through its Brand Tracker research and Reputation Management agencies.
Drawing inspiration from life, Tabby takes a leadership role in whatever she does. Whether as a wife, mother, runner or community activist, her passion for bringing people and purpose together is palpable as is her desire to deliver on time and in full, everytime.
Tabby holds a Bachelor of Journalism degree from Rhodes University, a Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing from the AAA School of Advertising in Johannesburg, an MBA from Bond University in Australia a certificate for the Executive Leadership Development Programme from the Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS).